Divinity is a type of candy that is similar to nougat. Making it is a Christmas tradition in my family. I love any sweet that is flavored with almond extract and divinity is no exception. Here is a recipe that will work well at any altitude.
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Stir together the sugar, corn syrup and water in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture reaches the hard ball stage (for every 1,000 feet you are above sea level, subtract 2 degrees from 250), stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and let it sit without stirring.
- Whisk the egg whites in your mixer bowl until soft peaks form, about one minute at the highest speed. Turn the speed to low and very slowly, pour in the syrup mixture. Whip about two and a half minutes longer.
- Turn your mixer to medium speed, add the almond extract and whip until the mixture loses its sheen, about 20-25 minutes. Stir in the chopped nuts until well mixed.
- Drop spoonfuls of the candy on wax paper or paper cups and let it fully dry.
- Store the candy in an airtight container.