Summer is finally here. Even thought it officially starts tomorrow, I have been in a summer mood for a few weeks now. My vegetables are planted, the flower bed is full of blossoms and jackets are no longer required. I love making crumble in the summer. Peaches and nectarines are readily available and they give this easy dessert such a wonderful flavor. You can also use berries or apples in this recipe, it is very versatile.
Peach Nectarine Crumble
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
- 6 cups of fruit (I used nectarines and peaches), cut into slices
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To prepare the filling, add the fruit, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and salt to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Place the filling into an 8 inch square baking dish
- In your mixer bowl beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Using your hands, mix in the flour and salt until crumbly pieces form.
- Spread the topping over the filling and bake for 40 – 50 mins (tent the baking dish with tin foil after 30 mins of baking), until the center is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.