Peanut butter cookies are a classic. They taste great with a cold glass of milk. This recipe is for cookies that are crumbly and crunchy, not soft and chewy. I used creamy peanut butter but I think crunchy peanut butter would taste great also. I sprinkled turbinado sugar on top of the cookies giving them an interesting texture and flavor.
Crispy Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 oz package peanut butter chips or chocolate chips (optional)
- Sugar for sprinkling onto cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- In your mixer bowl beat the butter, shortening, sugars, peanut butter, egg and vanilla on medium speed until well blended. Add the flour mixture slowly, beating well. Stir in the peanut butter chips or chocolate chips if you’re using them.
- Shape the dough into one inch balls. Place them two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Using a fork, flatten the cookie dough balls in two directions, creating a criss cross pattern. Sprinkle sugar on top of the cookies.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the bottom edges start to brown. Be careful to not over bake, it is easy to do with these cookies. Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and place on a wire rack to cool completely.