Lava cakes are one of my most favorite desserts. This recipe makes them even more delicious by adding Nutella. With just a few ingredients you can make a decadent Valentine’s day treat.
Chocolate Nutella Lava Cakes
Recipe from Bell’alimento
- 11 tbsp butter
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 large whole eggs + 3 additional egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar + 2 additional tbsp
- 6 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp Nutella
- Strawberries, raspberries, whipped cream, ice cream or garnish of your choosing
- Melt the butter and chocolate chips in a double boiler over medium heat.
- While the chocolate butter is melting, add the eggs and sugar to your mixer bowl. Beat on medium-high speed with the whisk attachment for 8 minutes, until they become light and fluffy. Mix in the flour.
- Remove the chocolate butter mixture from the stove and pour it into the egg mixture very slowly. Beat on low until the mixture is well combined and develops a glossy sheen (about 5-6 mins).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 4 ramekins (I recommend using 8 – 10 oz sized ramekins) very thoroughly with cooking spray.
- Place sprayed ramekins onto a baking pan (this makes it easy to put them into the oven). Fill each ramekin three fourths of the way full with batter. Spoon 1 tbsp of Nutella into the center of each ramekin. Finish adding the remainder of the batter, evenly dividing it between the ramekins.
- Bake the lava cakes for 10-14 minutes. After 10 minutes, check on the lava cakes every minute for doneness. The outsides should be cooked, the tops should be soft (but not jiggly) and the edges will have started to pull away from the sides of the ramekins. It is easy to under or over bake the lava cakes.
- While the lava cakes are cooling, prepare the garnish. When the cakes are ready, remove them from the oven very carefully.
- To plate the lava cakes, place a clean plate on top of the ramekin and quickly invert it. Remove the ramekin from the plate with a kitchen towel. The lava cakes should fall right out of the ramekins.
- Top with strawberries or your preferred garnish. Serve immediately and devour.