The secret to making the best banana bread is using overripe bananas, the browner the better. As bananas ripen, the starch they contain is converted into sugar. This means that your banana bread will be sweet and flavorful. So, instead of tossing those sad, lonely bananas that have been sitting on your counter for too long, use them to make some delicious banana bread.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas (I cut the bananas into pieces and used a potato masher to mash them up)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Using your mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in the eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas until well blended. Add to flour mixture, stirring until incorporated.
- Stir the pecans into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minute, until golden brown. Test with a cake tester or toothpick to make sure the center of the loaf is fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes and finish cooling on a wire rack.